Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The UU Presidency Campaign I Would Like To Have Seen

Robin Edgar asks me who would I like to have seen running that is not running. I think that's a great question.

After GA in 2006, a really well-connected UU friend told me that they thought that a friend of theirs was seriously considering running for UUA President. When I asked who that person was, my friend told me that they would tell me once that person made a decision one way or the other.

The person who was considering a run was.....Rosemary Bray McNatt.

But Rev. McNatt is not the only person who I think would have made this campaign interesting. Pluse the grapevine told me that Marilyn Sewell and Terry Sweetser seriously thought about running.

The candidate I think we needed in this campaign was somebody who has a real vision and is really passionate about being the public face of Unitarian Universalism. And could articulate that passion. I just don't think either Laurel or Peter are that person. But I could be wrong. Or it could be that I'm just truly disappointed in the campaign both of them have run. Who knows?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is interesting that of the names you mention, Rev. McNatt has endorsed Hallman and Rev. Sewell has been an enthusiastic supporter of Morales. Sweetser is a UUA employee can is barred from endorsing either candidate.

I personally find that Morales has both the “passion” and the vision for the UUA presidency. I find his a much more expansive commitment and it is tied to the kind of real world administrative and technological skills that can effectively transform passion and vision into reality. But, hey, that’s just my opinion.

Robin Edgar said...

Well I do try to ask great questions The Real Anonymous. Usually they are great questions that U*Us are quite reticent to answer though. . . :-) Thanks for answering my question in a brand-spanking new blog post and acknowledging the inspiration for this post. Could you please elaborate on *why* you are "truly disappointed" in the campaigns that Rev. Dr. Laurel Hallman and Rev. Peter Morales have run? I am all ears and I expect others are too.

Robin Edgar said...

BTW here are a couple of great questions that Rev. Peter Morales has failed and/or refused to answer for months now. . . A good number of other very pertinent questions, if not great ones, were publicly posed to Rev. Morales by yours truly on his apparently "obsolete" 'Along The Campaign Trail' blog starting almost a year ago but he did not deign to answer a single one of them.