Monday, November 26, 2007

The Oddities of Education

Hello dear readers. I hope all of you had the Thanksgiving that you wanted.

On this first post of the after-Thanksgiving break, I thought I would talk about somebody else. Those of you in the Central Midwest District, and even a few of you who are outside of this district, probably know Kim Hampton. I've known her a while because of my travels in the district and think she is a really nice person to know.

For those of you who know her, Kim is getting ready to enter seminary in January. In the little updates that she sends out, she sent this great little nugget:

I've finished all the paperwork that Earlham requires except for one; the health form. You
might ask.....why the health form? It's simple, I have to show proof of my immunizations.
Now, I haven't had to show proof of immunization at all since I became an adult, and the only
time my parents remember having had to show the little card was when they registered me
for elementary school. But now that I need it, I can't find it. So now I'm running around like a
chicken with it's head cut off trying to think of all the places that might have that information. It
always seems to happen that way.......

So I thought I would make this post an open one.....what oddities of education have you, or someone you know, run into? And how did you handle it?


2 comments:

Toonhead said...

My oddity: When I wanted to take classes at the community college my admission was almost derailed because I did not take the TAAS test - this was the test that high school students have to pass in order to get a diploma (This was implemented two years after I graduated from high school). Never mind the fact that I have a bachelor's degree from a major state university. I thought that that would be sufficient to indicate that I had the required post-high school proficiency. The provision that kept me from having to take the test - I was enrolled in and received credit for college courses before 1988.

To be honest I'm not sure I would be able to pass the test based upon my knowledge alone. I probably would have to study specifically for it.

Anonymous said...

I remember TAAS! I wish they would have told me about it before I set foot in Texas. At least that way I would have known about it.

I was fresh from Missouri with my 29 on the ACT and passing the Missouri state tests, only to find out that I would have to take another test to prove that I knew how to add 2 and 2 and write a complete paragraph before they would let me register. I was so upset I could've screamed.