Friday, November 16, 2007

Who Do We Say That We Are? pt.2

Because Ogre and I seem to disagree about what Jesus said, I thought I would put the scriptures here on the page. The passage is Matthew 16:13-17. (I'm using the King James Version for fun)

Mt 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
Mt 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
Mt 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Mt 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Mt 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.


So it seems we are both right. I just think that we know the answer to the first question. We know what people, those who know about us anyway, say that we are.

My question is: Who do WE say that WE are? Part of the reason that the new UUA ad campaign is not going over well in a number of UU circles is that there is no there there. Unless we know what we are, there will never be a really effective broad based outreach/mission/planting program in the UUA.

So my question still stands: Who do we say that we are?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I won't disagree in saying that this is an important question. Identity is a major hurtle in Unitarian Universalism; we just can't seem to agree as a group what it means to be a member of the UU. The question "what do you believe" is one we don't deal with very well, and unfortunately it is a large part of our identity. Many UUs look towards our activism as being our identity, but that still doesn't set us apart from other religions.

I feel that we need to become more willing to be radical in our approach to this question. I don't think an effective answer to this question is going to make everyone happy... nor should it. I understand the need to avoid dogma, but at some point, we need definition.

- John
www.thepagelessbook.com