Friday, December 7, 2007

Freedom REQUIRES Religion?????

Hello dear readers.

I've been looking over the UU blog response to Mitt Romney's speech yesterday and have found what I expected to find: dismay at his denigration of the nonreligious or other-religious.

I think those blogs are missing an even bigger point; the line in the speech where Gov. Romney says "Freedom requires religion." Let me tell you dear readers, this line scares me more than the assumption that the only religions that count are the ones that have a G-d (where does that leave most practitioners of the major Eastern religions?).

Freedom REQUIRES religion?!?!?!?!?!?

Even more disconcerting is the rest of the line in the speech: "And religion requires freedom." This my dear friends ignores most of human history (not to mention the real beginnings of the republic). Religion has been used to restrict the freedom of the "other" throughout time. Did Mitt miss that in history class?

Anyway....Jon Meacham and Sally Quinn were on Charlie Rose last night and gave what I thought was the best analysis of the speech so far.

1 comment:

RGVprof said...

I talked about his speech on my blog, too. Plus, I'm a former Mormon, so I have added interest in his speech and his campaign.

As an American who happens to be UU and agnostic, I found the speech deeply troubling, too.

Where can I watch this show from last night, or maybe see a transcript of it? Sounds interesting.