Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year? pt. 2

ChaliceChick has asked me to explain a little more what I meant in my last post. I'll be happy to.

My question is about people for whom the holiday season is not the most wonderful time.

I'm thinking of a friend who just lost an in-law. Or someone who is in the grips of depression. Or the person who doesn't have much family and friends who are scattered.

In most churches during this time of the year, there is so much talk about anticipation and waiting and happiness and the coming of the light (that is what advent means after all), that I think there is a kind-of willful blindness to those who don't see the coming of the light or are grieving or are having some other problems.

I'm just wondering if/how churches deal with those who are suffering during this time of carols and presents and dinners and so forth. Is there any acknowledgement of the other side of the holidays and that even those who like this time of the year can feel a little "put-upon" by it?

I hope that makes some sense.

No comments: