Saturday, December 15, 2007

How Do We Choose????

Since I'm waiting to see the reaction to my post about steroids and baseball, I must say that I didn't expect the response to my "Free Michael Vick" posts that I have gotten. I must say that I'm grateful for it. I thought I was going to get more vitriol from the PETA types.

I'm appreciative of Chalicechick's postings. I am especially interested in hearing that somebody might get 2 years for cockfighting. While I don't think that's likely to happen (going by my research into previous cases), it is interesting to find out.

I think this brings in a whole different issue: How much culture influences moral decisions and law.

Cockfighting happens in many places around the country with little notice and when most people hear about it they might cringe a bit but there's little outrage. If these same people hear about a dogfight, it seems as if the person involved is a different level of "slime". Yet, if we were in India where cows are sacred, they would have the same reaction to dogfighting that most Americans have to cockfighting.

So, how do we make the distinctions?

No comments: