Wednesday, October 24, 2007

From the Gulf Coast to Southern California

Hello dear readers.
Before I get started on the two UU-related posts that I have on my mind, I thought I would do this quick one on the fires in southern California and the one thing that looks completely different from the debacle that was Katrina.

Has anybody else noticed that instead of stopping people (i.e.-The Red Cross) from coming in and helping, the feds are actually WORKING with the people who want to help?

Also, the media have treated these evacuees differently than they have Katrina evacuees. Compassion is good, I just wish there had been a little more of it at the beginning of the Katrina coverage.

On to the next post.

2 comments:

jules said...

Something I've noticed that is different is all the evacuees shown on the news are white.

Real Anonymous said...

I've seen some of Hispanic/Latina(o) descent, which is good. In fact some news outlets were talking about immigrants who were worried about losing their jobs if they didn't continue working during the fire.