Friday, October 19, 2007

Where is Crick When We Need Him?

There are many things I could say about Dr. Watson's comments; I won't because if I do far too many of you dear readers will know who I am.

However, in thinking about the comments of the good Dr., it made me think that maybe this is just another salvo in the modern eugenics movement.

It's not as if the good Dr.'s comments are new (or even new for him); they are just another in a long line of comments made about the intelligence of those of darker skin tones and the parts of the world from whence they came.

So where does this leave the notion of colorblindness/race neutrality? If studied men and women like Dr. Watson do really believe that those of African descent are naturally less intelligent, where does this leave black children who tend to score lower on IQ tests and are then placed in Special Education to languish until they are put in jail/prison? Do they stand a chance at all?

No comments: