Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Why 'The Real Anonymous' and 'It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere'?

I know what you're thinking dear reader; this person has it backwards.

Introductions are supposed to be the first post, not the third.

Well dear readers, since this is my blog, I will do anything I want whenever and however I want. :) There is a method to my madness though. I did not think I was going to do a blog; at least not like this. I want to talk about UUA and Unitarian Universalism-related things without worrying about how people who know me will feel about what I'm saying. Thus 'The Real Anonymous'. Even we people of reason have politically incorrect thoughts and this will be my place to air them. You are most welcome to join in the fun.

As to an introduction, I have been a Unitarian Universalist (denominationally) for 15 years. I am very active; another reason I want to stay anonymous. I have friends all over the UUA. I travel far and wide, so I notice the regional differences in congregations in the UUA a lot easier than many other UUs. You will probably learn more about me as I write and I hope you enjoy what you learn.

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere?
Yes dear reader, Jimmy Buffet is right. It truly is 5:00 somewhere. Thus Happy Hour can truly begin. I have noticed, and you probably have too, that UUs tend to tell you what they really think when you give them a drink. In many UU congregations, your place in the social order is determined by whether you drink white or red. We will talk about the UU social order later dear reader, but I thought for this blog I thought it would be fun to play around with it.

My next post will be about the Independent Affiliate issue. Later.

4 comments:

jules said...

I must be at the bottom of social ladder since I drink only beer. But it is microbrewed beer... that gives one rung up above those who like Corona right? :) welcome to Blogurbia. Julian

Robin Edgar said...

In many UU congregations, your place in the social order is determined by whether or not you believe in God. . . Many so-called U*U "Welcoming Congregations" are anything but welcoming to God believing people in general, and Christians in particular. That goes for GBLT people who believe in God and/or are of the Christian orientation. How ironic. . .

I am definitely at the very *bottom* of the U*U social order because A) I am claiming a genuine revelation of God of considerable significance and B) I will not allow intolerant and abusive fundamentalist atheist "Humanist" U*Us, including unmentionable U*U ministers, get away with character assassination by falsely and maliciously labeling me as "psychotic" and my religious practices as a "cult".

Posted by the real Robin Edgar aka The Emerson Avenger

Anonymous said...

I know you Robin.
You are welcome here as long as your posts are on point with the messages that I post. If they aren't, I will delete them.

Now to the body of your post. I do think there is a difference by what I mean by social order than what you're talking about. Not to say that some congregations social order is determined by theology. For the most part though, I think that's giving UUs more credit for knowing others theology than they actually do. Heck, most UUs can't tell you their own theology, much less someone else's.

Anonymous said...

Julian,
If you were in my area, I would invite you to my friends' Happy Hour on Fridays. You would see plenty of UUs who drink beer, especially microbrews.

I think there's a different order if you are a beer drinker. Or don't drink at all.