Friday, January 11, 2008

Bibles Bibles All Over The Place

Hello dear readers.

Since we've been talking about the Bible so much, I decided that it would be a good thing to look at all the different Bibles available at your local big-name bookstore (I'm not counting Christian bookstores in this because they normally only carry a few).

Your local Barnes and Noble can get you copies of the following Bible versions:
-the Amplified
-Contemporary English
-English Standard
-Geneva
-God's Word
-Good News
-Holman Christian Standard
-the Jerusalem
-King James
-Living
-the Message
-New American
-New American Standard
-New Century
-New International
-New Jerusalem
-New King James
-New Life
-New Living
-New Revised Standard
-Phillips Paraphrase
-Revised English
-Rheims-Douai
-Today's NIV

By my count, that makes 24 different versions. What a choice for UUs to pick from. If you were going to buy one, which would you choose?

1 comment:

Robin Edgar said...

If I was going to buy only one it would have to be the New King James version, for reasons that I have already stated here in a previous comment on a related thread. It is my understanding that it is the closest thing to a literal word for word translation of the original Hebrew and Greek scriptures. Personally I do not think that there is any reason to limit oneself to a single version of the Bible and that it would be a very good idea to have a well annotated study bible. I would recommend the NIV (New International Version) Study Bible for that purpose.