Monday, January 7, 2008

King James, His Bible and Proof-Texting

Hello again dear readers.

In my last post I said that I would proof-text out of the KJV in my next post, and so I shall. Fausto did most of his proof-texting out of the book of Matthew; I will do one from Mark and one from Acts.

Mark 12:28-32.........
28 And one of he scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?
29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heard, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he.

Acts 10:34-38........
34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.
36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)
37 That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;
38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.


As you can see, I tried to use verses that carry both Unitarian and Universalist themes. Of course, all this is a matter of opinion, so I'm open to all who want to correct me.


Like I said before, I definitely know the limitations of the King James version of the Bible. That's why I use the NRSV and New Jerusalem for study. For poetry, I use the King James. There's something about the thee-s, thou-s and thy-s that works for me.

No comments: