Friday, January 4, 2008

Why We Should All Read, and Know, The King James Version of the Bible

Hello dear readers.

In their comment to my last post, Anonymous pointed out something that I've believed for a long time: the King James Version of the Bible is pure poetry(and the basis for much of Western Literature). And as much as UUs like poetry, the KJV really should be heard more often from our pulpits.

I was raised a fundamentalist. Until the New International Version became the standard read in most conservative churches (now they use all sorts of versions), all little fundie and evangelical kids quoted the KJV. (I think mainline kids did too) And while I now use the New Revised Standard Version or the New Jerusalem for study, when I'm in a tough spot and need to pray or meditate, I always quote the KJV to myself.

So....all you RE directors should push for your kids to learn the KJV. It comes in very handy later in their lives. And it will help them understand just how beautiful Barack Obama's Iowa speech last night was and why it was so moving to so many.

2 comments:

fausto said...

Gotcher back, right here.

Anonymous said...

Following up on my earlier comment, my Elizabethan literature professor, an englishman, said that during those times it was believed that language was a gift from God and that it was the people's duty to make it as beautiful as they could.

The King James is not a particularly accurate translation, as reported in the book "Misquoting Jesus."

A book on speechwriting points out that the rhythm of English is often best expressed in groups of three. Think of Lincoln's, "of the people, by the people, for the people." If you have fewer than three points, try to find a third. If you have more than three points to discuss, try separating them into groups of three.