Sunday, January 6, 2008

King James and His Bible

Hello dear readers.

I'm going to follow Fausto's lead and do a little proof-texting with the King James Bible but just thought I would talk a little about the KJV and why it's still important.

I do recognize that the KJV is not the most literal translation of the Bible. The Revised Standard Version, the New Revised Standard Version and the New Jerusalem are better if you are looking for more precise translations. For the sheer poetry of it though, especially in places like the Wisdom and Poetry books (Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Lamentations, Song of Solomon and the like), the King James can't be beat.

Here is Song of Solomon 1:2-7 out of the KJV:
2 Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth: for thy love is better than wine.
3 Because of the savour of thy good ointments thy name is as ointment poured forth, therefore do the virgins love thee.
4 Draw me, we will run after thee, the king hath brought me into his chambers: we will be glad and rejoice in thee, we will remember thy love more than wine: they upright love thee.
5 I am black, but comely, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, as the tents of Kedar, as the curtains of Solomon.
6 Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me: my mother's children were angry with me; they made me the keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard have I not kept.
7 Tell me, O thou whom my soul loveth, where thou feedest, where thou makest thy flock to rest at noon: for why should I be as one that turneth aside by the flocks of thy companions?

Here it is out of the NRSV:
2 Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! For your love is better than wine.
3 your anointing oils are fragment, your name is perfume poured out; therefore the maidens love you.
4 Draw me after you, let us make haste. The king has brought me into his chambers. We will exault and rejoice in you; we will extol your love more than wine; rightly do they love you.
5 I am black and beautiful, O daughters of Jerusalem, like the tents of Kedar, like the curtains of Solomon.
6 Do not gaze at me because I am dark, because the sum has gazed on me. My mother's sons were angry with me; they made me keeper of the vineyards, but my own vineyard I have not kept!
7 Tell me, you whom my soul loves, where you pasture your flock, where you make it lie down at noon; for why should I be like one who is veiled beside the flocks of your companions?

Now I know it's a matter of opinion which one sounds better, but to my ears, the King James comes off one's tongue better than the NRSV.

I know there are problems with the KJV. I think, however, that UU children MUST be familiar with it in order to understand so much of Western literature that we do them a disservice by not teaching it to them. But of course, I think most UU RE programs do kids a disservice anyway.

Proof-texting in the next post.

1 comment:

Robin Edgar said...

Could you please elaborate on just why you think that "most UU RE programs do kids a disservice"?