Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Birthday Thoughts.....and More Thoughts On General Assembly

Hello dear readers.

Yes, your trusty servant shares her birthday with Honest Abe and Charles Darwin. I must say that that's hard to live up to.

Anyway.....a couple of thoughts that went through my mind as I was walking about in the bad weather here today......
-Why was Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' "My Momma Told Me" running through my head?
-Weather really does change one's mood

But on to the GA stuff........
I'm trying to understand those who say that there's nobody at fault here. I'm sorry friends but somebody must be responsible for this mess. (I'm only talking about on the UUA side, this is NOT about Homeland Security)
I don't know how many of you remember this little bit of news.....but.....the GA Planning Committee went to the UUA Board sometime in 2007 and asked if it would be ok to move the 2010 GA, which is set for the Twin Cities, to another city if their labor issues were not resolved.
(long story....but my understanding is that they have been resolved)
I bring this up only to ask the following question.....since the Planning Committee was given assurances that the security checks would be gone, when they saw that they weren't (in 2005 or 2006), why did they not do the same thing they did with regards to the 2010 GA? The Planning Committee could have gone to Board and asked for the exact same thing. And, if they had done it early enough, they could have gotten out of this mess and moved GA to a different city.
This, my dear readers, is why I believe somebody must be responsible for this situation. And let me state for the record that I don't blame or fault the GA Staff; this is not their mess. They have to live with it just like those of you who will be going to GA.

1 comment:

Robin Edgar said...

Happy birthday!

May I take it that you are "coming out" in the near future, in that you have now publicly revealed both your gender and your birthday?

Unless of course they are red herrings. . .

Here is a little birthday present for you anyway. One of my all time favorite tunes, right up there with Nancy Sinatra's These Boots Were Made For Walking. ;-)

I agree 100% that some UUA administrators should be held responsible for the 2008 GA mess, to say nothing of some other U*U messes that I am acutely aware of, but I would not hold your breath about anyone being held accountable any time soon. The UUA seems to have a rather poor track record when it comes to holding people responsible for incompetence of various kinds, unbecoming conduct of various kinds, let alone clergy sexual misconduct. . .