Friday, February 1, 2008

Stop Treating Your Church Like the Sierra Club, or Why Tithing Matters pt.2

Oh my dear readers! I was going through UUpdates a few minutes ago and came across this:

Let me suggest a modest proposal which, I believe, can help solve the financial problems of the Unitarian Church of (blank). The proposal is this: take this congregation off of your “charity” list! Do I have your attention yet? If not, I beg you! Remove this congregation from the list of causes and services you support, it doesn’t belong there.

Amen and Hallelu to that!!!!!
Your church is NOT the Sierra Club. (I'm not picking on the Sierra Club, so no comments along that line please) Your church SHOULD hold a different place in your life and deserves to be seen that way.

It's nice to see more UUs talking like this. Gives me hope that one day UUs will actually ASK people to give more than 5% to their church.

Bless you dear minister at the Unitarian Church of (blank). I hope you get everyone in your congregation's attention.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once was visiting someone during a stewardship campaign, and she asked me why she did not get at least a calendar or something... PETA sent her a calendar, and they cost a lot less than we did...

I was dumbfounded...